Monday, September 19, 2005

Back again

Its been a long time since I wrote my first blog...much of waters have flown and many things happened in my life. Both personal and professional. Yes passing prelims is a big issue and yet it seemed so easy in the end. Sometimes I wonder, whether I have lost that touch of humanness in me. I no longer feel extremely happy or sad. Everything is so disconnected that I almost look at my life like a spectator watching a play! But may be that is good as it comes with a realisation of life and Iam enjoying every moment of it.

Getting into a little thought experiment:
Imagine as if we were transported to the country of blind. How could we explain the difference between colours to those people? Infact this question is not just some silly imagination of mine.. The same concept applies to all our daily interactions...How do we explain the point to people who are 'blind' so to speak or who have closed their eyes? I feel it is just impossible unless the person himself tries and for that faith is required either in the person talking about it or the concept of colour itself.. Then this is what religion asks us..to have faith in god before we can experience god. And if we cannot experience god in everyday life then isnt it more meaningful to wonder whether we are spiritually blind? Isnt it plain arrogance to procalim that there is no god, knowing fully well how limited our intellectual capabilities are? I am deeply troubled by the very slight difference between rational thought and rationalising thought. Few recognise that rational thought says " The following statements are true within the given set of facts" while the ratioalising thought may delcare them as absolute truth! How different are they from the religious bigots who proclaim only their religion to be the truest one?

I recently read a TOI article. It was an interesting article about the difference between the knowledge and wisdom. It said that, blind men were sent to an elephant. Some declered it to be the trunk some thought it was like a log, while others compared it to a rope. These are different opinions as the vedas declare" ekam sat vipra bahuda vadanti" one is the truth, learned speak of it in many ways. While each one of them is correct, they are also false...Knowing these options is knowledge which we can get from scriptures, but seeing the entire elephant is wisdom which can be only obtained by the reflection of that knowledge.
And I really believe, there are no short cuts in this. Everyone has to struggle: like the little drops of water that have broken up from the ocean waves and fallen on a rock. They must go back ultimately to the water they came from..the infinite bliss they are part of...thats what their destiny is...until then there will be no peace.

This reminds me of an interesting anecdote I read about my boss Hanuman: Once it seems someone asked Rama in his court what was the relation between him and hanuman. To this Rama turns to Hanuman and asks him "Hanuma what is the relation between you and me?"
Hanuman says,
" When I consider myself as body rama, Iam your servant:
When I consider myself as mind, Iam jivatma(soul) and you are paramatma (god):
But when I see myself as atma, Iam you O Rama".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home