Wednesday, October 19, 2005

On Journeys...Part2

I always felt a meditative peace when the sky changes colours at dawn and dusk, landscapes changing from lush paddy fields of bengal to red loamy soils of orissa, to the rocky great deccan pleatue, lush evergreen forests of northeast, 1000 ft high bridges and mile long tunnels in cachar (assam), temperate forests of MP, monsoon forests on western ghats, birds on the chilka lake, coconut plantations in kerala, temples of tamilnadu, sugarcane plantations in western UP.Same areas that were ripe with harvest on my on ward journey being harvested on return trip, by farmers with their bullocks grazing lazily, tractors parked in the fields, their children playing under the shade of the trees or jumping into the nearby pond.

Gusty hot winds blowing across the hot barren landscapes in summer, lonely bird flying high in search of water, people lining up around the taps in stations. And on return journey, copassengers trying hard to close the windows to prevent rain and rain water seeping through and children (I confess, I did it too : ) putting their faces on the glass between the window grill to catch a glimpse of the terrain outside. The water logged fields, overflowing streams and the water from ganga overflowing through the farakka barrage gates; and the most impressive sight of all, mighty bramhaputra(BTW this is the ONLY river that has a masculine name) flowing silently at guwahati inspiring a great respect is a humbling experience.

Journeys in winter had a charm of their own and that where I learnt that hot chai on a chilly winter morning is one of the best things one could think of. It always seemed that whatever amount of clothes I carry, it was always a little colder :) and had to tug the naga shawl more tightly around myself and still kept the window open (glass obstructs the view) much to the annoyance of my copassengers.

As someone said, life is a journey, not a race. Its true meaning exists as much in a successful journey as in a successful conclusion.

2 Comments:

Blogger ligne said...

So, have you travelled to all corners of India then?
I am thrilled by your description of the railroad. I have travelled the same route, about twice a year when I was in India. Several of them alone. And I loved it. Train journeys are anything but boring.
Thanks for the reminder :)

4:47 PM  
Blogger atma_tripta said...

Yes,I have been to all the places described on a train. There is north west India still left to cover...waiting for that someday when that will also be completed :) My writing does not compare to anything near the actual experience..still thats the best I can do, sitting here in my office!!

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home