Friday, March 17, 2006

Silent prayer...

Hoping to see you in the faint light of religious lamps, I spent countless nights trying to light them again and again. Everytime I thought the flame was steady a gust of wind would come and blow them off leaving me in darkness and confusion. A fool was I to try to see you in the light of earthen lamps, My master. For you shine on your own with a brilliance that blinds my mind and soothes my heart. The sun, fire and lightning are mere reflections of your power. I shall not seek you in the light of lamps.

I made a formidable chain to bind you, carefully crafting each link with logic; proud that no one could ever break those links. In the end when the chain is complete, I find that the chain binds me and robs my freedom. Come and break this chain.

Make my knees strong enough that they do not bend before the tyranny of the world and yet make my spine supple enough to reach to your feet residing in the lowest depths of society where the oppressed live.

Sacrifice this pawn in your game of celestial chess if you wish, but place it at your feet, where the righteous live in the enlightened comfort of your eternal presence.

I know not what the next moment holds for me and the memories of the past are clouded by perceptions and prejudices. My mind lives in this moment and thinks it can grasp you who extends beyond boundaries of time. Forgive this childishness.

I complained to you the other day that you don't come to my house. That you didn't come in through my front door, even though I was waiting for you inside. But I now realise that I locked the door from inside. You waited outside in a silent patience.

I complained that I don't see you in my everyday life. You pointed at the unkown stranger who helped me and the child who gave an innocent smile as he looked at me from his mother's shoulders. You pointed at my parents, my siblings and friends who helped me in difficult times. You pointed at my old dog that used to wait for me at the door. You pointed towards the bookseller who brought the books to my hostel. I had missed you as I thought you were different from the common folk around me. I thought you would be special always shining and extraordinary...little did I expect to see you in the dust raised by the workers walking back home after a day's toil in fields and mines. Extraordinary you are, not because you are exclusive but because you are all inclusive. I shall try my best to see you in all and welcome you to my home.

My heart knows you are the greatest treasure, but my mind still holds on to the tinsel of the world. It doesn't allow me to come to you. My lord come to me.

I thought I knew what love was and called you to come to me. I now know that your love is far greater than mine. I shall be waiting for you in a silent prayer. Will you come?
Jignasu.

4 Comments:

Blogger littlecow said...

Very nice!

8:10 PM  
Blogger atma_tripta said...

Bala,
Thanks!
@

7:35 PM  
Blogger ligne said...

you write well.does one ever find out whether the silent prayers are answered?

8:06 AM  
Blogger atma_tripta said...

Ligne,
Thank you. Silent prayers are answered with a silent joy in heart.
And my guess is when it happens, jignasu become jnani and the quest culminates.
@

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home