Saturday, March 31, 2007

Animal Planet and Shankara.

The documentary on Animal planet showed how the great migration takes place every year on the plains of Africa. There it focused on a calf that could not make the crossing, which the mother wilder beast could . The lonely calf, stuck on the wrong side of the river, was trying to be a friend with the lonely deer which also had lost its mother on the river crossing. There were hungry cheetahs that were lurking nearby. The mother watched for her calf on the other side of the river and when she could not find it among the teeming masses that crossed...it did the seemingly unthinkable. It actually crossed the river again looking for here calf, braving the powerful crocodiles waiting to pounce on her. (Finally they both make it to the other side, after a brief encounter with a cheetah)

The other day, I watched a child in a railway station. the child was playing with something at a distance from her mother. Soon, with a thundering noise, a train came on to another platform. The child both confused and afraid, left all the toys and ran back to her mother and held on to her.

I was reminded of the meaning of a hymn that Adi Shankaracharya had written in the praise of divine mother .
He said," O mother, there are bad children in this world but a bad mother..the world has seen none."
In another verse,
"O mother! I do not know any sacred chants nor do I perform any holy rituals. I am not well versed in the philosophical intricacies or the language of the intelligent. I just know that whenever I face difficulties, whenever I am afraid, I can run to you with outstretched hands and you will protect."
I think I had a fleeting glimpse of the depths in these verses of shankara.
@

1 Comments:

Blogger Hmm.. said...

Hi! Not sure how I bumped into your blog...but it has been a facinating read :)
The Skanda Purana says that even an ascetic who is adored by all should worship his mother.
He may sever his attachment with everyone but not with his mother. The bondage continues. When Shankara performed the customary rites after her death. At that time his feelings got the better of him. He poured them out in five verses in which he describes the pain and sufferings his mother had undergone for his sake and the great love she had for him. The last verse below -

"I did not offer you water at the time of your death, Oh mother! I did not even offer
the oblations as per funerary rites on the day of your death. Nor did I repeat
the mantra that delivers one across the ocean of this world. Alas! I have come
at an inappropriate time! O mother! Bestow upon me your unequalled compassion."

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home