Friday, January 20, 2006

Tiger

The day started on a rather delayed note, as I had overslept. So, hurriedly I finished the daily ritual of breakfast and filled my mug with steaming tea and set off to work. It was a bright morning and uncharacteristically yet welcomingly warm for a mid january morning. As I hurriedly walked to the bend in the road, I noticed I had company. As I sharply turned around and looked straight into the eyes, he was wagging his tail and staring me with equally mischevious eyes. He was obviously in a playful mood. Horror struck, I shooed him and said,"Tiger, go back to house". As if mocking me he sped across the road ignoring the lone car turning around the corner at 40 mph. I heart skipped a beat..rather several. For once, I thought 40 mph was dangerous speed!

To any spectator watching, it would have reminded the movie 'Tramp' where trapped in a lion's cage, Chaplin tries to shoo a little dog that is barking at him and is about to awake the sleeping lion. I cajoled him again..no he wouldnt budge. Perhaps he wanted me to play with him as I had the previous day in the house. I threw objects and he fetched them for me and thought it was a very interesting game. Now I cursed myself for doing that as this dog wouldnt let me go to work. All kinds of scenarios of a dog being injured or worse killed on a street and the house owner I was staying with suing me for that and me being deported to India flasjhed before my eyes. I also imagined a NY times headline, " An Indian terrorist responsible for the death of a poor dog in PA". A few beads of perspiration accumulated on my brow.

Now I stopped threatening and held my hand as if it had something for the dog to eat. But he was as cunning as 'Attila' ( R.K. Narayanan's story) and knew in an instant that I wasnt having anything in my hand and sped past me into someone elses house. Now, I remembered my fathers's words, spare the rod and spoil the child. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a position to use his advice in a country where the pets are called 'companion animals'.

Perhaps he realised the meek look in my eyes. That of a helpless graduate student as I stood on the pavement. He came near me, and as I tried to grab him he sped across the road now causing my heart to beat twice its usual rate. I tried different strategies..ranging from pleading, cajoing, ignoring and threatening.. all in vain.

Finally I remembered gajendra mokhsa story and surrendered. As I walked back to home, he was following me always maintaining a safe distance of about ten steps. I gave a look of desperation and meekness and said tiger don't come with me. Whether it took mercy on me or played enough I still don't know. But this time he didnt follow me. I felt relieved as if I had achieved something and laughed my way to work!
@

3 Comments:

Blogger littlecow said...

this was hilarious! one of our dogs used to do the same thing following me, my aunt and everyone else to the bus stop. he was white and majestic - he made friends with many people in the stop and they would get him rusk and other foods in the morning. of course, the majestic one he is, he never ate - but played with them anyways!

7:59 AM  
Blogger ligne said...

well written. i can picture this happening.. but then dogs can be devish and adorable at the same time !

7:24 PM  
Blogger atma_tripta said...

@bala: It was hilarious for me too, but only after it was over. But as it was happening...:))
@ligne: Thank you. yes they sure can be;I can vouch for that from experience!!
We had a dog which found a bone from somewhere. And being in a completely vegetarian household, it was my brothers and my job to get the bone out of the house. I still remember the gruelling 2 hours and the tricks we played to take the bone away, while my sister looking at all this was clapping happlily.
@

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home